Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Why do I bother getting out of bed?

I waited outside the Taco Bell for the man to come out. I was hungry, and I needed something to get me through the night. He looked like a construction worker. It would be more of a fight than I prefer, but at least he wouldn’t die when I drank his blood. His arms were thick like he swung a sledge hammer all day, and his chest was thick. When he walked out to his Toyota Tundra truck, I jumped from behind a bush, landed on his back. He shrugged me off with one arm.

That’s impressive for a human, even if he is built like a body builder, because I have the strength of a vampire. I sprang to my feet, smashed my fist into his jaw. He wasn’t expecting the power behind my punch. His head lulled back, he leaned against the truck, and slumped to the ground unconscious. I rubbed my hand, looked around to make sure no one was watching. I felt safe, so I opened my mouth, my fangs extended, and I big into his thick neck.

As I drank, I wondered about Dawn, and Michael, and John Maguire. At least I knew Kristin was going to be okay. After a few days of rest, she was much stronger. But John Maguire was still a mystery to me, and Dawn hadn’t contacted me yet. I was beginning to wonder if John Maguire had killed her.

While drinking the blood of the construction worker, I picked his pocket. His wallet had over one hundred dollars in it. Not bad. My cell phone rang.

With blood dripping from my mouth, I answered the call.

“Hello?” I said.

“Casey Coleman,” said a man’s voice.

“John Maguire…”

“You were a naughty girl the other day to touch my sword. We need to finish this.”

“Just name a time and place so I can kill you John Maguire.”

He laughed and said, “How about… Taco Bell.” I blinked, stood up, turned. John Maguire swung his sword.

“SHIT!”

I ducked and rolled, the blade trimmed hairs off my head. I kicked him in the stomach, punched his jaw, kneed him in the stomach. I reached for the sword, tried to rip it from his hands. I stomped on his right foot. John howled, then let go of the sword.

“TELL ME WHERE DAWN IS!”

“She’s inside the sword, just like every other vampire I’ve hunted… just like you will be soon enough!”

I looked at the blade, never having inspected it before. The faces of thousands of vampires flashed through the blade…and I saw Dawn’s face, for an instant.

I screamed, “DAWN!” And then I looked at John Maguire. “Set her free you son of a bitch!”

“I propose a trade,” John said. “You give me Kristin… and I will give you Dawn.”

I cocked my head curiously. He fought Kristin and I outside her apartment. He even hunted us down one other time. How could he not know where Kristin was?

“This is the same sword that John Maguire fought me with the other night… but you, are not the same John Maguire,” I said. “Who are you?” He grinned, threw himself at me. With one swing of the sword, I took off his head. John Maguire’s head rolled across the parking lot, stopping against the rear tire of a Plymouth Prowler.

I held the sword high, and wondered how I was supposed to set Dawn free from the sword… and I wondered how many more John Maguires would be coming after me to get the sword back. Where is Michael? Why hasn't he been home to answer my calls? Why do I even bother getting out of bed?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

BlogWise.Com